Saturday, September 25, 2010

In Blackwater Woods (Poetry Blog #5)

This poem stuck out to me because it was very dark. It was interesting to me because throughout it is describing nature but the tone is very worrisome and melancholy.

Usually when I read a poem about nature, it describes it's beauty and profoundness, not the feeling of being minuscule and helpless.

I know it is a funny comparison, but this poem reminded me of one of my aunt's favorite 80's song's "Dust in the Wind." The author implies that nothing really matters because soon you will be gone and go to Heaven or another life(or whatever you believe) so you need to hold onto everything "mortal" on Earth and when you leave Earth you just have "to let it go."

Personally, I think nature is the most beautiful thing in the world, so I thought that it was interesting the author described it the way she did like it didn't really matter in the end.

To be honest, I thought that the author was depressed and having really deep, melancholy thoughts. I agree that "you need to love what is mortal..., etc." but I think to be able to love it, you need to have a more positive outlook on life.

One thing i really enjoyed was how each stanza was split into four lines, it made the poem flow beautifully.

1 comment:

  1. I think it came from a place of sadness, but I felt like there was hope.

    ReplyDelete